Links

Home     About     Contact     Press     Yellow Skirt     SKETCHES

Sunday 8 April 2012

Taming the blood-thirsty boucle

I've decided to be friends with my pink boucle jacket - it's time - and really, let's put the blame for the original "Blood-thirsty Boucle" moniker where it rightly belongs - with the evil seamripper! (see post here) There's also a reason for the adage "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar." Um, that's not really the intent of this jacket though...


I wore this fluorescent pink blouse a mere week ago, here, but then days later I thrifted this fluorescent ruffly orange number and I thought they would look traffic-stopping together! Ariane of Style Montreal Sud-Est said in a recent comment something along the lines of, Why not go all the way? Indeed! Why not? There is a point of no return and I am there; my closet may not be there, but I am. 

I thrifted this skirt, also in boucle fabric, at the same time as the acid orange blouse. I like the high belting I did with the jacket. I'm slightly short-waisted so it's always a good policy to emphasize my weakest feature by making myself even more short-waisted. I did that here too. I love how the blouses stick out at the bottom of the jacket; I call it slovenly chic. And then I added the dirty-dove-blue tights and thrifted Miu Miu boots.

Okay now, put on your sunglasses!!


BAM!! Did I scare you? (I'm always scaring you - Munsters, bright colours...) Also, I did not retouch this photo - they were THAT bright.

Details of this outfit
  • Le Chateau fitted skirt and neon orange blouse, thrifted at the Wildlife Thrift Store, $8 and $6 I think. The boots and pink blouse are from there as well.
  • pink boucle jacket from a random thrift sale on Commercial Drive, couple bucks
  • soft black leather belt, men's department, Value Village. I bought a leather punch to put in the extra holes I needed - this is a great tool!

I had a jaunty kick to my step wearing this, flaunting all these fabulous lip-smacking brights around like a loaded flower gun during my inspiration walk. Many bystanders were struck - which means I had several very wonderful chats with strangers who were not asking for money or in altered states. It's that indefinable bubble of positivity that comes from a perfect storm of style, sun, and happy sass. 

Here's a closeup of the skirt fabric. You can see better the wonderful little lines of brilliant tangerine and blue and pink and aqua running through the checks.


Revelation:
I did not wear my beret. In fact, in several outfits that I've worn lately I have not worn my beret. It is becoming glaringly obvious to me that the more confident I become with my style, the more I feel grounded in myself independent of whatever clothes happen to be on my body. 
Since I have decided to make nice with my jacket it's only appropriate that I try to do it with my seamripper. Perhaps I carry a teensy bit of the blame? Here is "Romancing the Evil Seamripper."


And here's my impression of the day's outfit here. This time I am an onion head not a turnip head.


Hope you all had a great weekend and have many new positive adventures in the coming week.

And it's that time again - time for Patti's most awesome Monday style party, Visible Monday, over at Not Dead Yet Style. I shall surely see you there.





42 comments:

  1. You did go all the way, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cartoons are making me laugh so hard, I am in pain! The juggling squirrel is the funniest ever. And I do adore your bright outfit, and the fabulous boots. Thanks so much for sharing it all with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I said "Wowza" out loud to an empty room when I saw the orange and pink combo! It's interesting that the beret was once the embodiment of your 'confidence.' Blogging has been good for my creativity--if not my style, that way too. Can relate to the love/hate relationship with the seam ripper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let it rip!!! Always fab, and this one strikes me as very MOD too!! Love it. There's a lot of juicyness to your posts,and I always have to go back later to see what I've missed the first time. A delight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything about this outfit is fabulous. You really rock the bright colours!

    In what thrift stores are you finding Miu Miu boots? WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "It's that indefinable bubble of positivity that comes from a perfect storm of style, sun, and happy sass." I think this is my new favorite quote! :D It is SO true.

    What beautiful, vivid colors..they suit you! This ensemble could have easily been plucked from the chicest of boutiques/runways..so exciting that you picked up such beautiful pieces for those prices! I love the lines of color in the skirt fabric. You look fantastic!

    I adore your cartoons. They bring me joy. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Style, sun and happy sass'...oh yes, this sounds like a perfect recipe!!! Well done as always my artist!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Orange and bright pink is a great combination (I'm wearing it on my nails now).
    Your cartoons always make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dynamic! Gorgeous! Blinding! It's so good to see you feeling confident in who you really are. "Happy sass": I love it! What could be better? And as you say, it spreads sunshine and joy as you go along. Better than an evil cloud. (I'm about to "engage" with my seam ripper.)

    Much love from England,
    Rose www.foreveronthecatwalkoflife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwa-ha-ha!! I hope you have a happy engagement! Feel that love connection.

      Delete
  10. Well, you are clearly leading the return-to-neon trend! I love the play of those colours against the white-and-black plaid skirt. I like the outfit best with the jacket -- such a sly wink at Chanel, mashed-up!
    And the sketch and cartoons -- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always thought orange and pink were meant for each other, in all concentrations from pale to glaringly bright. I like the way they play with the skirt and tights too and the way you put it together with the pink jacket very modern and fun. The sketches almost had me falling out of my chair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mélanie,

    I read your post last night, read it again at lunch time, i am so proud that you went all the way and look what it got you...it put you in a good mood, wonderful chats with strangers, he, he, he! i know my stuff girl!
    But you know what i would have seen those 2 gorgeous top with a plisse white or eggshell maxi!
    You would look great in a maxi with lots of volume and movement.

    I have ideas or rather, collecting ideas for a new painting...but i should finish the other one...i need the moment again

    Take care Mélanie

    Ariane xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ariane! I love your idea of a maxi! My local thrift shops have never had maxis in stock, but now that the word is in the air, I wouldn't be surprised if one pops up!

      I think the good mood is what sparks the conversations more than anything, and going for it in this case certainly contributed to a mighty good mood. I've worn relatively sedate stuff and been overwhelmed by talk as well.

      Good luck slipping into your moment again. I love seeing your work!

      Delete
  13. Tangerine & Shocking Pink!!! My favorite colors when I was a teen. After seeing how beautiful you look I may have to revive them in my own wardrobe. BTW, Fabulous balance on the dog.
    Love You,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This dog likes to balance humans on his paws! He used to be a cheerleader.

      Delete
  14. Bright pink and orange! I think they are the perfect combo and my planters on my front porch usually contain flowers of this exact merger. I too would be struck by your beauty if I came upon you on a walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judith, for your comment. I like to visualize myself shining light and leaving a soft path of flowers in my wake. I think some people see this! So I like your reference to flowers!

      Delete
  15. Wow! You took me on a mind-bending journey! Must I return to the quotidien? Must I? Noooooooooo.......

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those colours together! I really want a pink boucle jacket. Think I'll hunt on ebay right away. Saw a woman in a posh supermarket in a posh town on Saturday wearing a whole suit, complete with Chanel handbag. I really love your drawings too! And that skirt - ok I love it all

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the orange and pink together - and the shine from the fabric!Those colours are so happy. Mixing the shiny tops with the boucle skirt and jacket is a really nice touch too. Your drawings are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how you combined the super-bright colors with black and white. That is a show-stopping combo up top there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I adore the orange and pink together - it reminds me of a dress I had back in oh...1974? Love!

    Hope you enjoyed the lovely sunny days this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, wasn't the sunshine glorious!? And today too!!

      Delete
  20. Bold, beautiful, and perfectly paired!
    I love that handstanding, ball balancing raccoon(?). :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are very good in color combination very cute!

    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now my goal is to achieve slovenly chic! You set the bar very high, sweetie :) Love the cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dare I say you already do a most excellent slovenly chic? :)

      Delete
  23. Love the cartoons...and the skirt...and the jacket!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I am so happy to see you here! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  24. I always look forward to your posts, Melanie - and this one's a humdinger! So much to enjoy...
    Bright pink/orange combo? Inspired.
    Boucle jacket? Perfect, especially with the addition of the belt.
    Skirt? The close-up revealed its gorgeousness, and the style really looks good on you.
    Cartoons? Hilarious!
    No beret? Interesting... Maybe it was your transitional object which you no longer need. You know what I would be fascinated to see you wear? Ariane's suggestion of a maxi would be good, but what about OTHER hats? Or would you feel disloyal? I can see one of your cartoons with a sad and abandoned beret weeping while you waltz off in a trilby or a stetson... xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, that my beret was a transitional thing. I love the ambiance it creates, but maybe I don't need that particular ambiance with every single outfit any more. It was my head soother. As you know, I have a teensy head and hats often overwhelm me, so my selection is somewhat limited. I have a few that I will take for walks soon though.

      Delete
  25. Love the way your outfits always come out balanced and at the same time a bit abstract! ;-) In a good way of course.
    Speaking of hats too. I've always known that a hat makes any outfit cuter, but the problem with that is wearing one into a dressing room while trying stuff on. The darn hat makes everything look good! Then later at home when you don't want to wear a hat, the thing you bought ain't so great!
    Sometimes I think my hats are laughing at me while I'm standing in front of my closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lately I just hold clothes up in a mirror to see how they will look on me, but if I do try something on I never put my hat on with it. Later I'm always surprised by how much better the piece looks with the hat as a finishing touch when I get home. Ha! I laughed when you suggested your hats are laughing at you!

      Delete
  26. I like so much how you show your style is so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  27. your blog and posts look like fairytales...amazing art work

    http://excurlythoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. The two colors are like BFF's, interesting apart but better together. GREAT color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  29. bam!!!! Bam!!! I have just picked myself off the floor. AMAZING!!! The orange and pink are gorgeous. Love it.
    Tee Hee the cartoon...... happiness is balancing on a puppy dog with a flying beret and no hands.
    Love v

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your style is so amazing! Love it.

    xo,
    Em

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...